Thursday 21 October 2010

shojin cuisine seminar

First of all, with my apologies for not being able to update satomi's fridge for so long, I would like to thank everybody who is reading my blog and sending me comments. It makes me feel special, really. Thank you very much.
I had busiest month ever this September and I went to Japan for two weeks for holiday. I'm back now!


It was about a month ago, I went to Shojin Ryori (cuisine) seminar. Shojin Ryori is primarily vegetarian, in order to keep with the general Buddhist precept of Ahimsa (non violence).
Ms Nishihara who is the coordinator of Cultural Project London, kindly send me an invitation and I also invited our head chef.

My bad image of Shojin Ryori was boring, plain taste, brown and traditionally eaten in temples. Also good image is healthy, that's all.
Well, it was the first time for me to face to Shojin Ryori culture. And I was totally impressed by Mr Toshio Tanahashi who is chef, teacher and organizer of Zecoo Culinary Institute.
He's trained at Gessenji Temple in Shiga prefecture for three years. And He's learned Shojin Ryori and spirit of Zen. In 1992, he opened his restaurant Gesshinkyo in Tokyo.
He's never done any advertising for his restaurant and he had only 3 customers when he opened. It was not an easy start, he said. But Gesshinkyo become the hardest restaurant to get a reservation and one of the popular Shojin Ryori restaurant in Japan and abroad. After few years, Tanahashi has been featured by the New York Times, Japan Times, The Sunday Times, The Financial Times and Telegraph magazine. After he closed Gesshinkyo in 2007, he organised Zecoow Culinary Institute and in 2009, he took up to the role of Director of Culinary art and Design at Kyoto University of Art and Design.

At Gesshinkyo, he starts a day with grating sesame seeds. He doesn't need to see, he can hear when its ready. He was demonstrating grating sesame seeds at seminar. He told us to close our eyes and just listen and smell.

Smell?!
It was about 100 peoples in the room and I don't think every body would smell hand full grated sesame seeds from front to back. I'm sure everybody thought same as I did.
He started to grate sesame seeds and I closed my eyes and listen carefully. I could hear different sounds from beginning and ending but it was impossible to tell what stage are sesame now. And I started to smell very intense toasty flavor of sesame. I thought somebody walking around with sesame seeds in the room. I opened my eyes. But no body is moving and I accidentally made eye contact with a mid age lady sitting crosswise behind me.

He believes "Chi" can be delivered and received from the food only if handmade. So in his kitchen there is no cooking/processing machinery. And he decide and create dishes on the paper. He knows every single vegetables' characteristic and voice. We've tasted his signature dish sesame tofu, also Pumpkin and fig jelly with miso at the end of the seminar. They were really tasty and I've never imagined such a colorful Shojin Ryori is exist. Sadly there is no more than 5 Shojin Ryori restaurant in Japan now. I don't know what I can start, I want to keep my antenna to Shojin Ryori now.

ブログをしばらくアップできなくて、申し訳ありません。
それから、この場を借りていつも読んでくださっている方々、暖かいコメントを送ってくださっている方々に改めてお礼申し上げます。独り言のように勝手な事を書いていますが、いつも読んでくださってる方がいると思うと、感謝の気持ちで一杯です。
目が回る程の忙しい9月があっという間に過ぎ去り、今年初の休暇を、先日日本で2週間過ごす事が出来ました。

もう1ヶ月程前になってしまいますが、精進料理のセミナーに行ってきました。 幸運にもCultural Project Londonの西原様より招待頂いたので、せっかくと思い、弊社のヘッドシェフも誘って参加しました。
私が抱いていた悪いイメージの精進料理と言えば、お寺のお坊さんが食べる、地味で味気なく、茶色っぽい食事でした。良いイメージはと言えば、ヘルシーで、それ以外には特にこれと言って特徴がない料理の様に思っていました。 精進料理初心者の私、今回、棚橋俊夫先生の授業を受ける事になりました。 棚橋先生は、料理人でもあり、教師でもあり、是食キュリナリーインスティテュートの創立者でもあります。彼は、3年間滋賀県にある月心寺で修行し、そこで精進料理と、“禅”の精神を学びます。 そして1992年、表参道に精進レストラン、月心居をオープンします。宣伝等しなかったため、始めは客入りが3人程、という日が続きました。そのときはかなり苦労されたようです。それから何年かたって、月心居は、予約の取れない人気店になり、New York Times, Japan Times, The Sunday Times, The Financial Times and Telegraph magazine等で記事を採り上げられるまでになりました。月心居を閉店した後から現在に至るまでは、京都造形芸術大学で講師をされています。

月心居では、毎朝ごまをする事から一日が始まります。ごまを擂っている間は目を閉じ、精神を集中させて擦ります。当日セミナーでもごま擂りのデモンストレーションがありました。棚橋先生が、私達参加者に目を閉じて、ただ音を聞き匂いを嗅ぐように言いました。
ニオイ??
100人近くいた参加者全員に行き届くように、ごまの匂いが伝わるなんて恐らく私を含め、ほとんどの参加者が信じていなかったと思います。
ごりごりごまを擂る音が聞こえはじめると、皆目を閉じました。
なんだか、始めと終わりの方で確かに音が変わったのは解ったけど、それ以外には何も解りませんでした。しばらくしないうちにごまの香ばしいねっとりした油っぽい香りがしてきました。私は、誰かがごまを持って会場を歩いているのかもと疑い、目を開けてみましたが、誰も動き回っている人は見当たらず、代わりに斜め後ろに座っていた中年の女性と目が合いました。
“気”は手作りの物のみに宿り、そして食する人間へ伝わります。
そして、試作する事なく新しい料理や、品書き等は全て紙面上のみで考案されます。

セミナーの後は、有名な月心居のごま豆腐、そしてカボチャとイチジクの寒天よせを頂きました。どれも優しい味でとても美味しく頂きました。精進料理が、こんなにも色彩豊かで、味も舌触りもバラエティーに富んでいるとは予想外で、とても楽しめました。
残念ながら、月心居は既に閉店され、現在日本には5件程の精進料理店しか存在しないそうです。何から始められるか解りませんが、今後、精進料理から目が離せなくなりそうです


Photo from:http://www.fjsp.org.br/agenda/10_03_shojin.html
Web:http://www.zecoow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...