Sunday 24 January 2010

sake blind tasting vol1

At Yoisho London


It was a hot sunny day, I was walking from Goodge street station down to the restaurant. I’ve arrived at station quite early than supposed to be, so I was walking very slowly.
I couldn’t even remember when was the last time I’ve visit small Izakaya in Charlotte Street called Yoisho. I think it was 3 or 4 years ago, just few months after I’ve arrived to London.
I through the door with nerves feeling. It sounds a bit strange.
The smells, temperature, the texture of shining old wooden table and cozy lightings … it doesn't take so long to bring me back to Japan.

We have 7 different types of sake, inc. my bottle that I brought from Japan.
We started to try sake from “bottle 1”.
We discussed a lot about many things especially kobo; yeast in Japanese.
I will talk about kobo maybe another time…
After we tried all sake and filled up tasting sheet, we’ve opened the blindfold.
First sake and second sake was actually same sake but second sake was decanted before we arrived. Let me see my tasting note again…

Number 1:
Alcohol vol: 14-15%,
Rice polished ratio: 60%,
Classification: Junmai Ginjo
Subtle flavour. Slightly bitter finish, acidity is quite high. Medium- bodied, still delicate and elegant style.

Number 2:
Alcohol vol: 16%
Rice polished ratio: 60%
Classification: Ginjo
Soft and smooth textured. Very spicy and dry finish. Acidity medium. Body is also medium. Yamahai style? Touch of green leaves such as bamboo leaf

As you can see from my tasting note, it is completely different between two sake!! I was so excited.

The correct answer was
Hoyo “Genji”, Tokubetsu Junmai
Alcohol vol: 15.5%
Rice polished ratio: 55%

Third bottle was very clear. I know already what exactly it is.
I filled up my note like this…
Name: Tamaki Yamahai Junmai Ginjo
Region: Akita prefecture
Alcohol vol: 17%
Rice polished ratio: 60%

My answer was correct except polished ratio and alcohol volume. The rice polished ratio was 50% and alcohol was 17.5% actually it is quite higher than I thought… mmm

Fourth bottle was Himekanade Junmai Ginjo Muroka from Fuyo brewery
It has elegant nose of Ginjo flavour. Herbaceous and acidity is slightly higher.

Fifth sake is Izumi Judan Daiginjo From Dewazakura brewery
I thought this brewery is from around the mountain in Japan, because I could taste the mineral also it has been added distilled alcohol.

Sixth, Tedorigawa Yamahai Daiginjo
I thought this sake had been storage in the fridge with bottle, not tank because this sake has absolutely clean and delicate style. Also it has added alcohol…. That I thought.

It was great night.


I really enjoyed talk about sake like that.

Mr. Tachikawa is importing sake from Japan by himself.
He has great character and passion. Seriously since he’s started his business in UK our sake environment in London has changed a lot.
We are talking about “Yamahai” style.
Trying same sake pours in to different shape of the glass. It does make different.


Tasting sheet.


Gyoza!! it was so good.


My bottle, Isojiman



All sake that we’ve tried tonight
Thank you so much for the great night.


Special thanks for Watanabe san from Yoisho, Asamisan, Tachikawa san, and Kobayashi san.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...