Saturday 27 July 2013

tohoku festivals

I can not believe that July is nearly over.
Since my maternity leave has started, I always felt such an empty feeling without working like used to be. Sometimes I feel a day is so long and a week is like a month...
The weather finally got calmed here in London. We had really hot days in past couple of weeks and I couldn't go out much with Hugo under that strong heat.
But compare to Japanese summer, I still think England's summer is moderate.
I remember one summer in Tokyo, I lost 8kg in 2 weeks. Because the heat took my energy away and I lost appetite completely. It was not great diet to try... 


Even in this heat, the northern Japan is getting hotter in August.
The biggest summer festival called "Tohoku Sandai Matsuri"will be held in Aomori, Akita and Miyagi prefecture.
My mother's relatives are all living in north Japan. My 95 years old grandma, many aunties, uncles and cousins... My first ever trip to Aomori prefecture where my mother's home town, I was 6 years old. I've never met so many families and I was the youngest one in the family.
So I've got comic books (my parents never got them for me) and toys, fizzy drinks, sweets that I've never tasted before... my older cousins took me to everywhere. As I'm only child, I felt so much fun to spend some time with somebody else than my parents and my friends who is same age as me.
One night we went to Nebuta festival.
I was so excited with everything. Music, dancers and off course Nebuta float.

Nebuta is a HUGE illuminate float made by hand. Each float has a meaning and most of them are based on brave worrier in the historical or mythical figures from Japanese or Chinese culture or gods. This float is carried through in the city for 6 days(02/08-7/08) and on the last day, it will be carried to the sea. The dancers called Haneto, dressed in costume are jumping all night long.
You can be joining this festival as Haneto, but you have to be fully dressed.
When I participated in Nebuta, my auntie put so many little bells all over my costume and told me jump as much as you can tonight and drop everything off.
Coming home with some bells left, she was always telling me and my cousins, "I thought you'll coming home more quietly!" Sadly she's past away 2 years ago, I still remember her telling me this with big smile. 

It was not well known festival for foreigners until recently, but last time when I went to Nebuta festival, I was really surprised with amount of tourists from overseas. I've spoken to some of them on my journey and told me they are returning in this year to see the festival because they can not forget the excitement. I totally understand. I'm the same. It is really addictive feeling once you've experienced this.
Such a dynamic, beautiful and energetic nebuta festival is really get you. 
And music... When I hear that music, I feel my blood is bubbling inside of me.

If you are planning to visit Japan in early August, why not to visit Aomori and other festivals in Tohoku region. Don't forget to catch the bells that fall off from Haneto's costume. The bells are bringing the luck to you. 

more useful info: wikipedia, Japan guide.com,
tohoku festival 
tohoku 6 summer festival

もう7月も終わるとしているなんて、本当に信じられません。
産休に入ってからと言うもの、今までの激務から逃れたのはいいのですが、それはそれで心にぽっかり穴があいたような気分に。1日が長く感じるのは勿論、1週間なんて1ヶ月の様。
今日はやっと気温が下がって、ロンドンも過ごしやすくなりました。
ここ最近、ずっと猛暑が続いていたので、ヒュウゴを連れてなかなか外出出来ずにいました。
それでも、日本の夏とを比べると、イギリスの夏はやっぱり過ごしやすい。
昔、ひどい夏バテを経験し、2週間で8kg体重が減った事が有りましたが、あれは良いダイエットではなかったです。


さて、この暑い夏、東北ではもうじきもっと熱くなるイベントがやってきます。
東北3大祭。秋田、青森、そして宮城県で繰り広げられるお祭りで有名ですが、実はこの時期、東北全部で6種類のお祭りが有るとか。
母の実家が青森県に有る為、母方の親戚は皆東北住まい。95歳の祖母、沢山の叔父と叔母、そしてもっと沢山の従兄弟達。私が初めて青森に足を運んだのは、私が6歳の時でした。初めて見る親戚にびっくりしつつも、私が親戚一同の中で最年少。
従兄弟達にはかわいがられ、どこに行くのも一緒、漫画に(両親は絶対買ってくれませんでしたが)、お菓子、そして炭酸飲料、今まで経験した事の無い物を、大きい従兄弟達のお陰で思う存分味わいました。(親にとってはさぞかし迷惑だっただろうに…) 
一人っ子のため、両親や同じ歳の友達と遊ぶのとはまた違い、本当に楽しかった思い出が残っています。
そしてある夜、皆で見に行ったのが近くの通りで練歩くねぶた祭。
あれには衝撃でした。はねとの衣装、そして音楽とねぶた。

ねぶたは毎年8月の2日から7日までのスケジュールで行われます。最終日にはねぶたは海に流されます。
一般客もはねととして祭に参加出来ますが、衣装の装着は絶対条件。
私が昔、はねととして参加した時、叔母が衣装を着るのを手伝ってくれ、そして衣装に沢山の鈴を付けてくれました。そして、今夜はこの鈴が残らないくらいいっぱい跳ねておいでと見送ってくれました。
祭の後、じゃらじゃらと鈴を鳴らし、疲労感と充実感を抱えて家路に着いた私と従兄弟に、叔母が“アンタ達、もっと静かに帰ってくると思ってたよ−。”と笑顔で向かえてくれるのがお約束。2年前に他界した叔母ですが、あの時の優しい笑顔は今でも鮮明に記憶に残っています。

この東北祭、以前は全く外人には知られていませんでしたが、最後にねぶたに行った時に、外国人の多さにびっくり。道中、何人かの外国人と話す機会がありましたが、皆、以前ねぶた祭に参加して感激したので今年も参加しに行く、と言う人が何人もいました。
その気持ち、本当によく解ります。
あの音楽、そして迫力を体験してしまうとこんなに魅了されるのは、人間皆同じなんだなあと思いました。今でも、私はねぶた祭の音楽を聴いただけで、わくわくそわそわ、居ても立っても居られなくなってしまいます。 

もし、今回ねぶた祭に初めて参加しに行くと言う方、はねとの落とした鈴は忘れずにお持ち帰りください。縁起が良いそうです。


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...